Friday 28 September 2012

"Grow" Second Model Development

So I've decided to start a new family of models based on the Golden Ratio, as I thought I had gone as far as I could making objects directly using the Fibonacci Spiral. Whilst I think the patterns have a certain attraction to them I was interested to see what other kinds of objects I could make.

When I looked again at my precedents I found that the Fibonacci Spiral was not the only utility of the Golden Ratio, and I wanted to explore and reproduce some different occurrences of it.


As you can see in the fractal algorithm above there is a Fibonacci Spiral, but along the line that the spiral makes are other examples of the Golden Ratio. The circles that go inside other circles decrease (or increase) at a rate directly proportional to the Golden Ratio. I made some sketches of this earlier, and I wanted to see what models I could generate from this idea. 


I decided that I would make a nest of loops in a similar pattern, and thought that if I was going to make a loop, I might as well make it a cool one. Above is a Mobius Strip that I made in Solidworks, and is a three-dimensional object that only has one side. I like the physical and philosophical connotations this object has, and I thought it would make for a beautiful object if done right.

This is a nest of Mobius Strips mimicking the Golden Ratio. A lot of the models below are modified versions of this model. I also attempted to make a gyroscope out of these strips, but because the Mobius Strips don't have perpendicular faces it was near impossible to make the right connections for it to function.








No comments:

Post a Comment