Wednesday 26 September 2012

Pattern Sketches

From looking at the patterns of the precedent images in the previous post, I found that most could be reduced to very simple geometric patterns, and often utilising the fundamental "Golden Rule".

A spiral using the Golden Rule
 Here I played with the Golden Rule quite literally, taking the very basic spiral that uses the formula a+b/a  =  a/b  = 1.61803, and turned in into a spring looking object that expands both in length and in width at a rate adherent to the Golden Rule. I think I should be able to use such a formula more easily in 3DS Max where I can scale objects by directly inserting this number.

 Here is a very basic pattern I drew of a mobius strip, showing the underlying concept in it's simplest of forms. My intention is to take this basic pattern and mess with it such that the pattern is still there, though it would be transformed into a shape much less recognisable than this.

Here is yet another example of the Golden Rule, this time using circles. I hope to use this pattern to tessellate my forms using both the scale and position seen here, though I may opt to rotate one of the circles in an interesting way. I'm quite fond of this pattern and it looks both like the magnetic centres on each pole of a magnet, and the eyes of Kaa the snake from The Jungle Book. Either way, I think this would have a cool effect on the transformations of my models.

No comments:

Post a Comment