Saturday 8 September 2012

Joinery Precedents

I've had a good look at joinery methods to find a good way of holding my model together, and I found a couple of good techniques used in wood joinery:

The Dowelling Joint / Mortise & Tenon Joint


This is a very versatile joint used in plenty of wooden furniture, and it depends greatly on the accuracy of the holes you drill with a known diameter of dowelling. I know that the laser cutter is a very accurate tool, though I'm wondering whether there is enough strength and compressibility in the acrylic to let me use this method. I've bought a sheet so that I can do some tests, as the Mortise & Tenon joint (A rectangular version of the joint above) would be just what I need.

Gothic Joining

The joint on the side of this table is the traditional way of joining Furniture in the Gothic Period, and is a very sturdy way of ensuring that what you've built isn't going anywhere. I know that this method works when using wood (especially hardwoods), but I'm curious to see whether it would work with acrylic too or whether that would be to brittle a material. I'll definately test this concept as well. Maybe I can get a combination of these two methods?

No comments:

Post a Comment